ShiiBooks

My Cup of Tea

The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin, Linda Antonsson, Elio M. Garcia jr.
Eleanor and Park
Rainbow Rowell

Specials

Specials - Scott Westerfeld
Scott Westerfeld's style of writting is not particularly captivating. As a said in Pretties review, he writes in a progresive way, from really boring slow chapters to the final ones, the only ones I can call engaging at some level.

All in all, I think Specials is a good conclusion to the series. Some quite outstanding matters were treated along the plot:

*The subjectivity of beauty, and the imposition of beauty standars in the society.
*The importance of participation of an individual in society and dangers implied in "not using our own brains".
*The consequences of giving all the power in our life to a goverment (so popular in dystopia!)
*And my favourite one: The fact that human beings are a disease to our planet.

All of this are really interesting issues, but I'm sure that any book reader or movie fan agrees that these are not groundbreaking ideas.

Nothing of this is new information to me, reason why I reassert that this books are perfect for children! There is barely no violence (weird in a "war scenario"), not even a reference about sex and all this previous mentioned information that may in fact be new for 10/12 years olds.

The problems I have with these books:
-The annoying use of language that Westerfeld does. Too many icy, bogus, bubbly, Tally-wa, Shay-la... I get that he's trying to capture the diferences between the "types of humans", and I know this is his first time writting YA but it was taked too far. Are teenagers retarded humans with a two word vocabulary?
-I was unable of creating a conection with Tally. I don't even remember if she had a well marked personality to begin with. Too many changes, she even mentioned that she felt like a sum up of brain washes and operations. And that's what she is. Sorry.

-The resolution of the love triangle. To be honest...in my opinion,it wasn't even a love triangle. The development of romance from Zane's part was a lot more believable than David's, and that lack of development on the relationship with David made it seem really odd for him to keep loving her despite of her repulsive feelings towards him. So, Tally ends up choosing what she has left. Not a really happy conclusion.
-The sad message it gives at the end. Humans can't help being destructive. Freedom equals destruction. What? If you are a self-centered a***hole your freedom means the destruction of someone else's property. Freedom is not the cause of destruction in that case, the cause are deepper problems in the way people think. Anyway, my problem with this message is the probability of it actually being true. What if we are a lost cause?

In conclusion, a mildly-good saga. I would recomend it for 10/12 year old children, just because it will surely get them thinking.