ShiiBooks

My Cup of Tea

The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin, Linda Antonsson, Elio M. Garcia jr.
Eleanor and Park
Rainbow Rowell

Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor This book... is raw and hurtful. All you need to know, go and read it. Don't spoil it for yourself.

The pair of them were again in the eye of a storm of misery - their world was a storm of misery and they were caught in its center, in the deceptive stillness that had allowed them to forget, once upon a time, that all around them was a stinging whirl of hatred that would catch them - it was everywhere and everything and they'd been fools to think they could leave their small safe place and not be caught in that vortex like every other living creature in Eretz.

“You have only to begin. Mercy breeds mercy as slaughter breeds slaughter. We can’t expect the world to be better than we make it.”

I first thought that the plot was very predictable. But, the reality is, it advances giving you a tip of the twists and turns ahead, so you will be saying "Oh nooo" before it actually happens.

Laini Taylor is an true artist with the pen...or the keyboard, whatever. Besides all the little problems I have with this book, her writting truly makes it delightful.
She keeps expanding this fantastic universe and the story through glimpses of new character's eyes. And glimpses are enough for you to trully care about those characters.
What for other readers is a mess of a plot structure, or just confusing, that is what makes this book special to me.

Regarding our "old" character...most of them are amazingly developed. But our heroine seem to be freezed for most of the book, like in a "time between".
From the begining, it was quite strange to see Karou so lost and confused. And, unfortunately, I was quite unable to connect to her anger, guilt and her thirst for revenge. Not that all those feeling weren't understandable.

As cute as Zuzana and Mika are, their chapters were distracting to the point of annoyance. Although, it's undeniable the humor and lightness they bring to the story, that I guess it's their reason to be.
Taylor is doing a great job keeping this as a "casual fantasy" saga, despite the fact that I, as a good fantasy fanatic, need more. Do explain me please how does magic actually works. why would chop hands with hamsas keep radiating magic? How does Karou know the exact procedure to the resurrections?

This book wasn't great, but the fact that I have a major crush on Taylor's writting keeps me from lowering the rating.

“I am one of billions. I am stardust gathered fleetingly into form. I will be ungathered. The stardust will go on to be other things someday and I will be free.”